Monday, August 5, 2013

Magellan 2013: Lake Powell, AZ

Currently Listening To: Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
Miles Traveled:  3157.0
Current Location: Lake Powell, AZ

I slept again in the campsite outside Flagstaff last night.  I spent hours trying to fall asleep, and when I couldn’t, I just lay there, thinking.  This trip has had a lot of thinking time.  Practically the past week and a half, all I’ve been doing is thinking, not because I specifically want to, but because when there is no one to converse with, I turn to myself.  Things I haven’t given myself time to think about, or places I haven’t allowed my mind to venture have been thoroughly explored… I’m still contemplating whether or not this is helpful to me.  For sure, I’ll be ready to be back this semester and to get busy again.  I’m determined to make it a great year.

I drove to the Grand Canyon this morning, and stayed briefly at the South Rim.  I took a good amount of pictures, but I got tired of having so many people all around me, and having people in my shots that I left and started driving to the North Rim.  The Grand Canyon is huge.  That’s a definite understatement, but my brain is having issues grasping the hugeness of it, so that’s all I've got.  I climbed over the fence at one of the look out points and climbed down the one side until it came to a complete cliff.  I took some great on the edge pictures for my mom to continue the tradition I started at the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.  I really like how Arizona changes so much within the state.  When I crossed over from New Mexico, it was flat with little variation in vegetation.  As I drove north, there were big green trees and less wide-open desert-ness.  As I am driving around the Grand Canyon area, there are the deep, layered canyons surrounded by the forests.  As I was driving towards the North Rim, I passed by the Painted Desert, which was totally different than anything I had seen on the trip so far.  The landscape really did look as though it was painted.  When I reached Page, AZ, the earth turned orange, and the dust swirled over the road creating drifts at the shoulders.  I am staying the night by a lake outside of Page, and I’ve already forgotten the name… It’s incredibly blue, and I stood on the beach – yes, there’s a beach – and watched the sun set over the hills.  It was beautiful.  If I don’t sleep again tonight, I’m going to make sure I’m there for that sunrise.  I think that driving through the states has given me an actual appreciation for the places that I’m passing through, as opposed to if I had flown.

Like I said, I’m staying near Page, which is around two hours from the North Rim.  I can’t figure out how to get to the North Rim because the main road is closed, which is why I had to stop here anyway.  I can drive north into Utah, and then circle around down, but it’s an incredibly out of the way trip, and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to go now, or just stop when I go through Utah on the drive back. 

I’m thinking about this trip would have been with other people.  The dynamic would have been entirely different, and I think I would have enjoyed it just the same.  I’m enjoying being by myself, but there are some things that would be more fun with more people.  I believe when I do this next time, I’ll do it with a small group of people.  That is… assuming I can get anyone to go.

Well, that’s it.  Tonight is one of those nights that I wish I wasn’t here by myself, but I’m surrounded by campsites and I’m going to try to sleep. 


More to come.  Oh, and the lake is Lake Powell.  Btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment