Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Magellan 2013: McAlisterville, PA to St. James, MO

Currently listening to: Closer - Better Than Ezra
Current location: St. James, MO
Miles Traveled: 869.6

Top ten reasons my new car > my old car:

10.) Air conditioning
9.) Heat
8.) Power locks/windows
7.) Auxiliary input for my iPhone
6.) Dashboard display with how many miles left for tank of gas/direction of travel
5.) Working CD player
4.) I hit the breaks...and the car slows down...every...time
3.) More space to shove more stuff
2.) I don't have the need to drown out suspicious engine noises with the radio
1.)  The old owner left a month's subscription to Sirius XM Radio


I'm going to start this blog off right by remember to write a post... I left McAlisterville yesterday after a good week of hanging out with my parents.  After about five days, I was getting antsy from doing nothing, and I started getting ready for the road trip.  Right before I left for LDAC, I had sold Tank the Cavalier, so I needed to buy a new car.  Enter into the picture Optimus, my 2007 Dodge Caliber.  I've named him Optimus for obvious reasons.  See list above.  I drove out to Washpa yesterday afternoon to meet up with people to have a campfire.  I crashed on campus, and then left around 8:45 the next morning to start the trip.

In Ohio, my dad called me to tell me he just passed me on I-70 W going the opposite direction.  He drives through Washington all the time, so I knew he was heading home.  I kept driving until I hit St. Louis.  I saw the arch, got stuck in traffic, and grabbed some food.  A while later, I found myself driving towards Rolla, MO, with an empty gas tank and no idea where the next gas station was... First lesson.  Watching the freakin' gas gauge.  Luckily, I made it to the station in St. James and filled up.  I have a 13 gallon tank, and I put 12.994 gallons in.  Never again.

Altogether, I didn't do much other than drive and look at things.  I drove farther than I planned to, and I definitely felt a need to put as much distance between myself and Pennsylvania as I could.  Now that I got a bit of that out of my system, I'll spend more time tomorrow checking things out.  My dad is texting me with places I should visit and things I should see, so I am making sure to look out for them.  I'm enjoying being by myself after a month of being around 50 people literally 24-7, and I can't wait to start driving again tomorrow.

Until then...